It goes without saying that the eye is an important part of the body and how we care for it determines the length of time both pairs will last us during our life time.
Here are a few simple tips to maintain good eye health: “THE DOS”
- Do eat balanced diets and food high in antioxidants like omega-3 fatty acids, lutein, zinc and vitamins A, C, E. These nutrients help in reducing cataracts, macular degeneration and other age-related vision problems. Green vegetables, beans, nuts, green vegetables and fruits like carrots, oranges etc are good sources of these nutrients.
- Do maintain a healthy lifestyle. Exercising helps the heart, maintains healthy weight reducing the risk of conditions like hypertension, obesity and diabetes which are leading causes of blindness. Smoking and excessive alcohol intake also predisposes you to vision problems.
- Do apply only medications and use spectacles/contact lenses that are prescribed by your eye doctor.
- Do protect your eye with safety eye wears such as protective goggles when handling potentially hazardous objects and engaging in certain sporting activities.
- Do protect your eyes from harmful ultraviolet rays of sunlight by wearing UV blocking sunglasses to prevent cataract, pterygium and retinal damage.
- Do wash your hands always especially after using the toilet and direct your children to wash their hands also after playing because dangerous germs can be transferred to the eyes from the environment.
- Do a rough eye test for yourself by closing one eye after the other and compare how the two eyes see as one eye may not be seeing well and so may go unnoticed.
- Do apply only clean water as first Aid to your eyes when you feel a foreign body sensation and go to the nearest eye hospital for medical attention.
- Do regular eyes check annually even if you do not have any complains. This is important to detect certain eye conditions (like glaucoma) that are hereditary and may even be asymptomatic. Also people that are 40 years and above should note that many eye problems such as presbyopia, cataract etc manifests around this time.
In our next edition, we shall consider the “DON’TS’’ in maintaining good eye health.
It is possible to enjoy good vision during your lifetime, so do the needful by doing an annual check with your eye doctor.
Dr Ukachukwu F. U